Sunday, July 20, 2014

So I have a driver license.....does that make me a criminal?

I found this blog written on June 19, 2014 by Yvonne Larson in Big Jolly Politics  called Threat of terrorism mandates law-abiding Texans provide full fingerprints for driver licenses. The article is directed at any Texas citizen, criminal or non-criminal, specifically those with driver licenses.  The author points out that “silently” a law was passed that states when required to renew our driver’s license in person, we are required to provide a full set of fingerprints.  The author points out that the government says this is for terroristic purposes and to keep us safe, but could the act of forcing us to provide fingerprints be against the our constitutional rights if there is  no probable cause or reasonable suspicion?  Larson also points out the use of facial recognition software being use to match the faces of those renewing to a criminal database.  So now we are being recorded?  I don’t recall seeing a sign at the Texas DMV telling me that I am being recorded, at least not the last time I was there. 

I agree with the author in the sense this seems to be a bit of a violation of my constitutional rights, hence, causing huge political implications.  I haven’t done anything criminal, so why do you need my fingerprints and why run my facial scan against a criminal database?  I could see the facial software generating errors that could lead to a lot of lawsuits. How many times have we seen someone in a crowded room that looks almost IDENTICAL to someone else we know? It happens.  But what happens when that “twin” is a criminal, and it just so happens the good “twin” goes to get her driver’s license renewed.  Next thing you know, she is being detained unlawfully, which the government blows off later as a “mix up.”  We see that happen in government all the time.   However, on the flip side, if I have done nothing wrong, what am I afraid of?  The fingerprinting could be a helpful tool in the event of an unfortunate event such as body identification or kidnapping of a child.  No one likes to think that way, but I see how it could be beneficial.


Lastly, the author points out that terrorists simply won’t get their driver’s license renewed if they know they are going to be fingerprinted and facial scanned.  I agree, but what about those that don’t know.  Even if the system catches just a few criminals, isn't it worth it to have them off the street?  Take a read and see what you think.  

No comments:

Post a Comment